Monday, March 3, 2014

Sewingly Yours Quilt Shop 2013 BOM Bird of Paradise Blocks by Lynn G. Hopeman, Quilt Top


Last year, 2013, my sewing buddy and I signed up to do a "Block of the Month" at our local quilt shop, Sewingly Yours. The blocks were called "My Favorite Flowers" by Lynn G. Hopeman. Basically one bought the first block, attended monthly meetings to show the previous month's completed 12.5" block and receive fabric and pattern for a new quilt block. The meeting was a 15 minute demonstration and some announcements.
There were two colorways, batiks or Kaffe Fassett prints. We chose batiks. A finished quilting kit could be purchased at the end of the year. The suggested finished quilt, 89""x 110",  had blocks on point and borders. There was an option to buy additional blocks by Lynn Hopeman.
I decided to simply sash my blocks and make a lap quilt. My sewing buddy wants to sew her blocks into pillows for gifts. The names of the blocks in my lap top quilt from left to right and top to bottom are: Bird of Paradise, Pansy, Rose Buds, Rose, Prairie Flower, Amaryllis, Double Tulip, Double Aster, Daffodil (paper pieced block), Clover Blossom, Chrysanthemum and then another Double Tulip. Actually the 12'th month was an APPLIQUE DAISY. Beautiful, but I didn't want to make it so I chose to make another Double Tulip. I used the green fabric and light blue background fabric meant for the Daisy and pulled some purple scraps left over when I made the Pansy block.
My lap top flimsy is about 47.5"x 61". The blue batik sashing was in my stash. I think the flowers blocks appear to be floating in water. Hopefully I can piece a backing from my batik stash and later free motion meander quilt it with cream thread and bind it with a colorful leaf print batik from my stash. I'll post a picture when it's finished.
This is a lengthy post, but I wanted to write about my local quilt shop BOM experience. It was a chance to meet other quilters in the area. I got to better know the nice people at the quilt shop and learn some new techniques. It was a positive experience.

7 comments:

Pauline G said...

What lovely quilt thus will be and such a great way to meet up with other quilters

Vroomans' Quilts said...

A harbinger of Spring quilt. Nicely done and sounds like a fun little experience with quilting.

Terri said...

Very pretty, makes me think Spring! Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Angie said...

Just gorgeous! Love how the batik fabrics look like stained glass!

Sarah said...

I'm envious I don't have a local quilt shop but I have joined a quilt group now so I not starved of face to face quilt talk! It sounds like you had a great time. I love the quilt and especially the pansy and daffodil blocks.

Impera Magna said...

What a bright colorful SPRING-y quilt and just want I need to see this morning... bah humbug on this cold weather!

Great job! Don't blame you for skipping the applique block.. .I would have done the same.

I'm hoping to do more projects at the LQS but it will have to wait til I retire. All their classes are during the day during the week.


Stay warm!


Katie said...

this was a super fun one to put together -- Yours turned out great. I did the extra blocks and put it on point and it is very large -- almost to large for a decorative quilt like this. Thanks for sharing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...